Re: wire stripper recommendation

Robert L Bass wrote:
> "CH®IS" wrote:
>>
>> Did you at least twist the wires together before using a B connector?
>
> It never occurred to me that one might *not* twist them.  I never really
> liked B connectors.  They're supposed to be a time saver in that it's
> not necessary to strip the wires -- just twist, crimp and go.  But I
> didn't trust the connection so I'd strip them anyway.  The problems with
> them are:
>
> (1) they're a messy looking way to splice.  A cabinet with a couple of
> dozen B's in it looks bad no matter how careful you are.
>
> (2) If you use them to splice recessed contacts it can be difficult to
> pull the contact out later without breaking the wire if the B snags on
> the hole.  Then you have to fish the darned thing all over.
>
> I like my panels to look really neat and organized. Each wire (except
> ground) comes in from the upper left corner, proceeds to the bottom,
> makes a 90-degree turn and goes to a point under the appropriate
> terminal.  Another 90-degree turn and it goes up to the terminal.  It
> might sound anal but when you do it that way the panel is much easier to
> service later and inspections tend to go really smoothly (those guys
> always like neat work).

I do the same thing, except I run the wire down to a point about half
way between the top of the battery and the bottom of the board.

I once took a bag of b-connectors and about 20ft for 22/4, put my
sounder on one end and just started clipping and crimping to see how
reliable those things are without stripping.

They actually work great and without stripping I would think you would
get less corrosion.

I still strip in the field though - concerned about the crimp
'uncrimping' a little and the teeth losing contact with the wire - even
though the marketing says they won't do that...