Re: Cell Phone Jammers are Illegal in USA

"G. Morgan" wrote:

> ... Furthermore, that question "Are you a US citizen" is
> about as useful as the dumb-ass "Did you pack your own suitcase" question at
> the airport....

Did you ever wonder what would happen if you answered, "No?"

On my return flight from my first trip to Brazil, not long after 9/11, I did
just that.  Along with my own luggage I was carrying an extra bag belonging to
a Brazilian friend.  In it were perfectly legal gift items intended for his
family back in the States.  I didn't actually pack the suitcase but I was
fairly certain nothing in it was prohibited -- a few toys, some cheap jewelry
and some herbal medicines which are sold over the counter in Brazil.  My only
concern was those medicines.  Though they were innocuous, I didn't know if US
or Brazilian law thought so.  I figured by being totally open I'd avoid a
hassle if there was some regulation or other.  So, when the security agent at
Jobim airport asked the question, I said, "No, and I'm not sure what's in it."

Asked who packed the bag, I pointed to my Brazilian friend who was waiting a
few feet away and said, "Him."  (well, actually I said, "Ele," since the agent
was Brazilian.  :^)

The next few minutes were umm, interesting.  The agent pressed a little button
and shortly two very large, well-armed, uniformed men appeared at my side.
They asked me about the bag and I repeated what I told the other agent.  They
politely asked if I would mind if they inspected it.  I suspect if I said no
they would have dispensed with politeness and done so anyway.

We went into a small office with an X-ray machine.  They unpacked the bag and
then X-rayed it to see if anything was concealed in the lining.  They
inspected everything from that bag but never bothered with the ones I packed
myself.  All the while they were polite and friendly.  The fact that I spoke
to them in Portuguese may have helped.  When I speak to officials in their own
language -- even poorly -- there's an appreciation and doors seem to open more
readily.  At any rate, the whole affair was over in about 10 minutes.  As I
left one of the security guys offered a "Bom viagem."  I think this would have
been very different if it happened in the USA.

As to the video, I can't really comment since my PC speakers are currently
disconnected.  US citizens standing on US soil do not have to answer questions
from law enforcement officers, border patrol or military personnel.  However,
refusing to do so is a good way to get hassled.  While it's our right to
refuse to answer, it's usually a lot easier to co-operate as long as the
officer is being reasonable.  If he's being an a$$, feel free to exercise your
rights.  Then, after he wrecks your day, file a lawsuit.  It's the American
way.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass