Re: Call setup... does it have to go to a monitoring company?

On Feb 18, 1:07=EF=BF=BDpm, Dave <dave.har...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 11:17=EF=BF=BDam, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > And your concerned only about when your home. So what? =EF=BF=BDWhen th=
e alarm
> > goes off and doesn't alert anyone else, you're going to do exactly
> > what? =EF=BF=BD Shoot it out with the bad guys?
>
> So if an intruder comes in, hears the alarm and decides to stay, I
> should just cross my fingers and "hope for the best" while ADT/Brinks
> calls the police? =EF=BF=BDDo you really think I have 5 minutes to spare =
while
> I wait for the police? =EF=BF=BDIt's better to be prepared and have the g=
uts
> to face the intruder if they come after you. =EF=BF=BDThe Brinks/ADT
> commercials are nice and all, but reality is much harsher. =EF=BF=BDThere=
 will
> always be a few minutes that you're on your own, regardless of whether
> or not you're monitored.

Exacatly how long would you choose to be "on your own"?  Until one of
you gets killed or one of your family?..... or until the police
arrive?  Should the alarm go off in the middle
of the night and you actually hear someone breaking in, when central
calls, you can
tell them someone is in your house to expidite the arrival of the
police. Otherwise,
you AND YOUR FAMILY are totally on your own. And, what if you're not
home?
How would your wife react to an intrusion? Unless she's Laura Croft,
she's gonna
get hurt. What starts out as a burglary or home invasion usually turns
into something
worse when there's only a woman at home.

> Secondly, when the alarm goes off, the police will be alerted... by
> us! =EF=BF=BDLast I checked, police still take calls from private citizen=
s.
> We're lucky in that we live in a town where 911 calls go straight to
> the dispatcher.

You're assuming that you will ALWAYS get the call. You wont.
Central always gets the call.

> Do you work in the industry? =EF=BF=BDIt sounds like you have beef agains=
> people that are willing to do it themselves..?

Yes, in the industry for 40 years. I've seen the worst that can
happen,
even WITH a monitored alarm system.

If you feel that you're capable of installing your onw system and have
done the proper research and have the appropriate tools and skills,
you're the one who's taking the responsibility that the system will do
what it's supposed to do. If you THINK you have all that's necessary
and you don't, that's a chance  you'll have to decide if your willing
take. You'll never know until something doesn't work the way it's
supposed to and you suffer a loss.

Do I care if  you install your own system? Not in the least. You're
not the kind of customer I want nor look for. Do I care if you monitor
the system yourself? Only from the standpoint that if I can convince
you to have the system monitored, I'd feel I'd done a good deed for
the day. If you monitor your own system, only you and you're family
are at risk. That's your responsibility. I'd like to convince you
differently.

This whole thing in about safety and security. It's really hard for me
to understand why someone would got to the time, trouble and expense
of installing an alarm system, whose purpose is to increase the
chances
that something bad WONT happen ...... and then skimp on the one key
ingredient that holds it all together.

Think of an alarm system as a sort of tangable insurance policy. If
you were
buying an insurance policy you wouldn't buy it and then send in the
payments
short a few dollars every  month or not at all and risk cancellation.
You'd want
it in place in case the worst happens.

You can have the system call you if  you want but have it monitored
too.

You'll excuse me if I say that your thinking is particularly a "guy"
thing.
YOU feel that you can protect, take care of, defend, safeguard etc
etc,
your home and family. And you may well be able to do that ..... when
you are there. When you're not there .......... anything can happen
and
with a monitored system you're just reducing the chances that a
tragedy
will occur. As long as you've come as far as getting an alarm system,
why
would you stop short instead of wishing you had, after a tragedy.

It's about $20.00 a month. Not bad for the additional peace of mind.

Oh, and by the way, your insurance company will give you a discount
for a monitored system but not an unmonitored system. Does that make
you wonder why they might do that? Think statistics.
Some will discount for fire ..... some for fire and burgalary. They
know that
a monitored system will get someone there either to reduce the amount
of loot being stolen or so they wont have to buy your totally burnt
down
house.

So, it's not even the cost of monitoring that you can complain about.

Think about it. It certainly couldn't hurt ..... that's fer sure.