Re: Help understanding CID protocol

On Feb 11, 4:53=EF=BF=BDpm, ymg...@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> My goal is to equip the new house with alarm system which is monitored
> by the central station. I am new to security systems, but once I
> started learning about them, my DIY personality started leaning
> towards building a system myself.
> By doing some research in this discussion group I learned that alarm
> systems communicate with the monitoring station by sending CID
> signals. If CID is a DTMF sequence, can I generate it using any DTMF
> encoder? If I know the CID format that is expected by the monitoring
> station, does this mean that I can have a computer to control a DTMF
> encoder in order to send code sequences to the monitoring station? Is
> there any response from the monitoring station that I need to listen
> to, or I can be in "transmit only" mode? Is there any spec to CID tone
> length, pause between tones, or any other restrictions?
> Thank you.

Trying to re-invent the wheel .......... are you?

For about $60.00 you can buy a panel that has been engineered tried
and tested and is a proven reliable UL listed device that will do what
you want with a 99.9999% chance of it working when needed. Anything
that you "invent" ...... however ..............

As mentioned, if I were a Central Station I wouldn't touch such a
system with a 10 foot pole. Something that's been hatched in someones
garage trying to communicate with a million dollars worth of my
central station equipment is NOT something I'd be willing to risk.
Central stations usually monitor thousands of alarm panels and bear
the liability of doing so. There's no way I'd want someones
"invention" screwing up my ability to respond.