Re: OT :Radio Shack

"CH®IS" <sh@xxxxx> wrote in message news:JwiYm.57013$Db2.18325@xxxxxxxxxxx
> "Effenpig1" wrote...
>> I was looking at the (weller?) cold heat soldering iron but the guys
>> at my local electronics shop said it's not a good unit for teaching
>
>> "proper" soldering. They recommended a rechargeable unit made by Wahl.
>>

> We have a cold heat soldering iron in the office.  It gets used less than
> the other two real soldering irons we have... which never get used at all.
>
> Basically, they're only good for the tiniest of connections.  Perhaps 30
> gauge wire?  If you can make use of it though, it'll certainly make a
> cleaner looked solder than I could ever do with a real iron.  I read
> somewhere that it simply doesn't produce enough heat.
>
> - Chris

I have a friend that bought one just because it wanted to see how it worked.
He gave it to me to try since he had nothing to try it on.
To be perfectly honest...................................
It has got to be the most worthless piece of engineering ever made.
I gave it back with those words ringing in his ears.
My guess is that it is either still in the box or a landfill at this point.
More could be said about my experience with the thing but I would just be
wasting more keystrokes.

Les