Re: VONTAGE

CH®IS wrote:
>> "tourman" wrote...
>>
>> RHC: Yeah, I've had loads of clients come to me with VoIP service and
>> they never want to understand that this service is unreliable with an
>> alarm. So their next step is to call another company who doesn't give
>> a shit, and hooks them up anyway just for the money. It almost seems
>> dealers who do the right thing are punished by the scummy ones who
>> don't care about anything other than that monthly RMR. And if you try
>> to sell the client on the proper IP connecting device, they won't
>> spend a dime on it.....
>>
>> Although it might be hard to swallow at times, you are doing the right
>> thing !! And if they care that little about the alarm, then the hell
>> with them....you're better off getting rid of them
>>

> Any idea what Shaw's digital phone service is?  Aparently it's not VoIP.
>
> We've had a couple of customers switch to it and haven't had any
> problems so far.  And the Shaw techs seem to know more about how not to
> mess up a line seizure phone connection than Telus does.  They just take
> Telus' incoming line off and replace it with theirs, not bothering to
> "fix" this strange connection they don't understand.
>
> http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/DigitalPhone/AboutDigitalPhone/HomeSecurity.htm
>

> - Chris

It is VOIP.  It uses a cable modem at the subscriber's premise.  The
modem has a small stand by battery that's good for about four hours (or
so the tech I talked to said).  If the phone line is mission critical
you definitely need a UPS.  Some municipalities won't allow it for use
on a fire alarm system (even with GSM as a backup).