Re: OT Atlas Shrugged.

"tourman" wrote:

> [snip stuff we about which we agree]
>
> Where you and I might disagree is when you say that you wish all handguns
> were gone. This kind of thinking based strictly on the type of firearm leads
> inevitably to stricter, and very unfair gun control.

In my case it doesn't because I realise the impossibility of achieving the
*desired* goal plus the negative results of a failed attempt and therefore
would not support efforts to eliminate handguns.  It's the same as with pot.
It's impossible to eliminate the stuff and criminalization has had none of the
desired results.  As such, I think they ought to regulate and tax the
"industry."  At least the government could stop wasting billions of dollars
prosecuting and incarcerating people and begin receiving revenue like they did
when we made alcohol legal.

With guns the same approach should be considered.  It's already illegal for
convicted felons to own guns in the US.  Add people with mental defects such
as politicians and charge a tax on guns and ammo.  Use the money to promote
gun safety.  As to "registration," forget it.  Honest people will register and
crooks won't so what's the gain?

> A gun is a gun is a gun!

Well honestly, I'd rather there be no guns at all but people like to hunt and
some people actually hunt for food so I'd allow rifles in my utopia (not to be
confused with Sarasota).  But handguns are the most common choice among
thieves it seems.  Anyway, it's a moot point since I don't believe it would be
useful to outlaw handguns, much less guns in general.

> This kind of thinking has lead to the stupidity we have here in abundance in
> Canada...

Thinking does not lead to stupid government.  Stupid government happens
without thought at all.  If you don't believe that, just look at the Bush
presidency.  :^)

> However, I have long since given up on the idea that gun laws will be
> designed keeping in mind the needs of those who use them the most, and also
> whether the laws proposed will actually achieve what they are designed to do
> (and not end up as so much "pap for the public" ).

Agreed.

> There are so many deceitful, lying people who make up the "anti gun crowd"
> that the only way to deal with them is with a huge political hammer !!

We have the same problem, but more of the deceitful, lying people work for gun
manufacturers and the NRA.

> Meanwhile, I'll just live with what we have and hope it doesn't get any
> worse.

Same here.

--

Regards,