Re: OT Atlas Shrugged.

"tourman" wrote:

> ... Basic health care for all is considered a basic human right.

Agreed.  The problem here is that big insurance companies and some politicians
have conned most of the right into believing that there will be government
agencies deciding when to kill grandma.  For the insurance companies the only
issue is profits.  Competition from a government run option will force them to
reduce prices.  They don't want to do that so they concoct ridiculous lies and
get unscrupulous, political hacks like Palin to spout their garbage.  Because
these same people attack the left, their lies are taken as gospel.  The
saddest thing is that the insurers and the politicians walk on the heads of
those who support them.

> Yes, it costs a bundle, and yes, it can be abused my many, but when
the chips are down and you are in trouble, you can count on it. At
that point, the question becomes academic to those affected. However,
there is no question that we do live in a "nanny state" compared to
the US. That is how we have chosen to make our society work...(or not,
as the case may be...)

Hopefully, Obama will have the fortitude to push real reform through.  Perhaps
the greatest Senator in US history just died, fighting practically to his last
breath to make health care available and affordable to all Americans.  It
would be a disgrace for the country not to finally do this thing.

> Gun control Canadian style is nowhere near the same thing. It's a
contrived situation. Canadians look south and see the carnage in the
major cities due to the illegal, criminal use of handguns and have
decided that we will not tolerate that kind of situation as a society.
At the same time, politicians have deliberately distorted the real
truth that ownership by honest citizens is not and never will be a
problem, and have used this as a way of manipulating uninformed public
opinion in order to pass ridiculously rigid and dangerous anti-gun
laws...

We have the same thing here, but not yet as bad on the national level.
Personally, I would rather that no one in America owned a handgun.  Since that
is never going to happen and since criminals will ignore any laws we pass, the
next best thing is to properly train all gun owners and to insist that guns be
properly secured when not in the direct control of the owners.  That's the
only kind of "gun control" that I would support (not that anyone in government
cares what I, you or anyone else here thinks). :^).

> ... And I'm not sure we have the politicians with the wisdom or inclination
> to do so....

On that score I'd say the US and Canada are about even.  Fortunately, at least
we finally have adult supervision in Washington.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics