Re: Edmonton, Alberta

On Apr 13, 5:13=EF=BF=BDpm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 10:25=EF=BF=BDam, "Petem" <petem...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > "tourman" <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> a =EF=BF=BDcrit dans le message de =
groupe de
> > discussion :
> > 0db7a4b7-b7a0-41c7-ae98-59951e259...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> > > The alarm business =EF=BF=BDhere slowed slightly when the economy too=
k a dump,
> > > but it seems to be pretty steady now. It doesn't seem to have affecte=
> > > my business at all. We seem to be insulated from a lot of it due to
> > > Ottawa being a "government town". Housing starts and housing
> > > construction generally are still strong.
>
> > Here is Quebec its still going strong, we had a small bump in
> > november/december, but it got back on track in january, in fact january=
 2009
> > had 35,6 % more hour done in commercial/industrial project then in janu=
ary
> > 2008..
>
> > the residential side was about the same as in 2008
>
> RHC: Petem, that brings up a good point. Business IS booming for me as
> well and most other small companies I know of in my area. I can't keep
> up, and continue taking on AND turning away takeover business at a
> record level (the ones poorly installed). New installs are steady at
> just the right rate....
>
> Perhaps the security business is more "recession proof" than a lot of
> other businesses. Or perhaps it's just that Canada hasn't been hit
> with the same level of economic doom as the rest of the world. Who
> knows ? Definately our banks are more stable since they are much more
> conservative than US banks and didn't allow themselves to get caught
> up in the corporate greed of "liar loans" and "balloon mortgage
> payments".
>
> But I'm only guessing; I don't know any more than anyone else does.
> But sometimes it seems as if the media live in a different world !!
> (nor would that surprise me since most of them couldn't give you an
> accurate weather forecast if they were standing in the rain
> naked....:)))) But whatever the reason, lets hope business keeps on
> coming and we can work our way out of this global recession. May 2009
> be a good year for us all....-

Having been though a number of these "recessions" through the years,
I've only ever "felt" them to the slightest degree. And the last
couple have looked at them as a slight respite. My unproven "theory"
is .... when times are good, people have the money for "luxuries" like
alarm systems. When times are bad, there's a "fear" in the air and the
crime rate usually (or appears to) go up, also. Or maybe it's just
publicized more .....So .... alarms become more of a nesessity.

But another phenomena is   ..... that they don't "EVER" seem to have a
shortage of money to buy entertainment, home audio and home theater
systems. They'll forego an alarm system for a couple of thousand to
buy a home theater system for 5 or 10 thousand or more.     Go figure!

Now with boat alarms........ Someone with a half a million dollar
yacht wont spend even a thousand dollars on a basic alarm system to
protect $40 /$60 or more thousand dollars worth of electronics.
They'll tie their "asset" with every conceivable gadget on it, up to
some poles in the water and walk away and leave it for a week or more
at a time without checking on it. And every year, I'll get a few calls
from people who've been "hit" for thousands in equipment or vandalisim
and when I tell them that it's going to cost a couple of thousand for
some hatches and some pull traps on exposed equipment and extra for
some stress sensors and/or mats or photo electric eye  ...... all
concealed wiring and wired to Coast Guard spec's, they're "shocked"
that it would cost that much. Haven't done a boat alarm in years ....
and I'm right in the thick of a boating area.
Again ..... go figure!!!!