Re: Computer virus???

Nick Lawrence wrote:
> Because Bay Alarm Company (one of the largest dealers anywhere) was
> merely one of many dealers which has improperly employed the "local
> programming lockout", it is a big problem in the CA marketplace. We know
> (as does almost everyone here) of other large US regional dealers doing
> the same evil, anti-competitive, anti-consumer acts.

Do we now?

> As to their "nefarious agenda", one can surmise the dealer's intent when
> it refuses to remove the "local programming lockout" from the
> customer-owned panel, at the customer's written request, upon
> termination and full payment for the contract term.

I've never heard of actually dealer doing this on purpose...  except, of
course, from the likes of you and Bass.  I have heard of alarm companies
going out of business and leaving their customers "high and dry", but
that's an entirely different kettle of BAss.

> Unfortunately, "defaulting the board" (returning all programming options
> to factory presets, thus losing zone identities, keypad alpha words,
> user arm/disarm codes, bell timeouts, false alarm protections, etc)
> means that the system will no longer properly work as a "local", thus
> merely adding to the customer's misery, and robbing him of much of what
> he paid for. Way to go!

You don't read well do you?  You've "top-posted" your response, so the
line you have to re-read is at the very bottom of this.

> Alas, if only the outgoing dealer would merely remove the "local
> programming lockout", the receiver, download and account numbers, test
> timer etc, and return the installer code to default, leaving the system
> fully operative as a non-reporting "local" system, the whole issue could
> be avoided.

Check.  Read the last line: