Re: Computer virus???

Because Bay Alarm Company (one of the largest dealers anywhere) was
merely one of many dealers which has improperly employed the "local
programming lockout", it is a big problem in the CA marketplace. We know
(as does almost everyone here) of other large US regional dealers doing
the same evil, anti-competitive, anti-consumer acts.

As to their "nefarious agenda", one can surmise the dealer's intent when
it refuses to remove the "local programming lockout" from the
customer-owned panel, at the customer's written request, upon
termination and full payment for the contract term.

Unfortunately, "defaulting the board" (returning all programming options
to factory presets, thus losing zone identities, keypad alpha words,
user arm/disarm codes, bell timeouts, false alarm protections, etc)
means that the system will no longer properly work as a "local", thus
merely adding to the customer's misery, and robbing him of much of what
he paid for. Way to go!

Alas, if only the outgoing dealer would merely remove the "local
programming lockout", the receiver, download and account numbers, test
timer etc, and return the installer code to default, leaving the system
fully operative as a non-reporting "local" system, the whole issue could
be avoided.