Re: Computer virus???

Nick Lawrence wrote:
> Unfortunately, and all too frequently, as most regulars here know, the
> "local programming lockout" has been used in just that "evil"
> anti-consumer, anti-competitive manner, by companies employing the same
> tactics used by Bay Alarm Company, tactics which brought on the litigation.
>
> Indeed, it is the capability to "lock out competitors" and to "prevent
> unfriendly takeovers" that manufacturers claim as a benefit.
>
> You are free to call it "evil" or whatever you like, Frank.

I happen to work in a very competitive market (Vancouver).  In the
almost thirteen years I've been running our company, I can count the
number of locked out boards I've come across on one hand (there's been
four).  I've been in the trade for over twenty-five years.  I was
installing DSC-2000's badged as Chubb Sentinel IIIB's.  When the panel
lock-out feature started showing up, Chubb used it (as did a number of
competitors).  I'm sure that there are companies out there that don't
respect the rights of the consumer, but they are rare.  You've mentioned
*one* company in a market of hundreds.  Vancouver is no where near as
big as LA or SF but I'll wager that *most* of your competitors use
unique installer codes and the panel lock-out feature for liability
reasons and not for any nefarious agenda.  You've been hangin' out with
Bass for too long.  The lockout feature is not a "virus".  It's a way to
password protect installer access codes and proprietary programming
information.  If one of *my* customers wanted access to installer level
programming, I wouldn't have a problem with *defaulting* the board and
turning it over to him/her (as long as their account was current).
They're also advised that the system will function as a "local" system
(in other words it would no longer communicate with our CS).  We do
remind people that wish to cancel their monitoring agreement of any term
remaining, but I've yet to enforce it.  It's not worth the headache for
a couple hundred measly bucks, and, more often than not, the customer
usually decides to come back anyway (after they've finished "tweaking"
their system - in fact we're often called in to help).  :-)