Re: Double Cyliner Entry Set

"Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:fra0p9$4rl$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> for
>> >
>> > , but I could be.  Its not that hard...
>>
>> Feel free to do so if it suits you.  Getting started is not hard at all.
>> You're right about that.  Keeping it going and making it grow is a bit
> more
>> challenging though.  In any case, if you ever want that source just ask.
> They
>> do a nice job for me.
>>
>> > ... I'll probably have a larger product line (different categories of
>> > merchandise) with specific URLs routed to a particular
>> category.
>>
>> A larger product line?
>
> Yes.
>
>> You're kidding, right?
>
> No.
>
>> My online stores currently
>> have over 235,000 products and, taken together, half a million pages.
>
> DYNAMIC content is the way to go...

Not if you want the search engines to feed your business.

> You only have to write a few pages, but
> I'm sure you knew that...

I sure do.  After years of PPC that wasn't bringing in the level of activity
it should have I switched to static pages with a better designed scart.  My
sales doubled the first year.  With the new changes (SEO, outsourcing search
tool and investing in faster servers) business on the primary website is up
significantly again.  When my other site is finished it should bring in a
similar increase.

> By the way, when I shut down the cart I had about
> 80,000 products listed in the cart, but I only had to write about 20 pages.
> MySQL is your friend...

MYSQL is handy for maintaining the site, regardless whether the pages are
static or dynamic.

> I was a little leary about writing my own perl
> script, but PHP is some pretty cool stuff...

I write simple HTML and make minor mods to scripts but I haven't had time to
learn PHP yet.

> I've been learning perl too, but a lot of stuff is
> so much easier and faster with PHP.  Probably use both if
> I go back on line.
>
> Even some of the tech support stuff can be managed the same way, but for
> that it actually takes time to document.

I know.  Were you here when I still had the FAQ website?  :^)

>> TTBOMK
>
> No clue what TTBOMK means.

TTBOMK = To The Best Of My Knowledge

>> they're the most diverse websites and certainly the most diverse
> e-commerce
>> sites in the industry.
>
> Wasn't going to stay within the industry.  Also, I have not been sitting
> still.  I've been learning quite a bit about coding and flow management.  My
> background if you may recall is in CIS, and I was already profficient in
> several languages.  Just takes a day or two to wipe the dust off those
> cognitive areas and start writing code again.  If a previous employer had
> not tried to stiff me I probably wouldn't even be in the alarm industry.

We have some things in common.  I learned to code in six programming
languages, worked in MIS for years, etc., before getting involved in security.
My brother, who is also in the industry, has over 40 years of programming
experience.  He has written everything from a compiler to financial apps.  He
even wrote the code for a downloader we developed for Edwards' FireShield
panels.  That was fun -- the first time we collaborated on an alarm industry
related project.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass