Re: Monday Sucks

alarman wrote:

> Sorry for your pain, Joe.
> Some days are diamonds...

Thanks to everyone who commented.  Like I've said before, it means a lot
to know people give a shit.

And some days are diamonds.

Yesterday was better.

I tested a fire alarm system (which is what I normally do) at a township
office that has a firehouse attached - one of the stations that
responded to "THE" fire.  (We have been working on making a poster using
Chris' image and story for Fire Prevention Week).  While I was getting
my forms signed, the Fire Chief, his main Inspector and I were
discussing trying to get folks to change the batteries in their smoke
detectors.  One of the township clerks was nearby and commented that she
was glad she didn't have to worry about that since her smoke detectors
were "wired by an electrician when the house was built (two years or so
ago)."

I put my two cents in but it was hard getting a word in edgewise with
Jim and Ron climbing all over her (figuratively of course).  As I left
Jim (Chief) was setting a time for him to come over and change her
batteries. (we got a winter storm last night ? it was all over the news
that it was coming so he was concerned about a possible power outage.)

Talking about Chris in that context (Smoke Detector Awareness ? if you
will) doesn?t seem to get to me in the same way.  I?m not sure why.

After that I tested a system at a store where the owner had decided she
wanted a black ceiling.  It must have been a do-it-yourself job since a
professional painter would have taken the smoke detectors down before
doing it ? well, MOST professional painters anyway.  I was VERY tactful
and polite but she seemed a bit put out when I mentioned that they would
both have to be replaced.

I?m at home today ? According to my boss, the State Police are issuing
tickets to anyone on the road without a good enough reason.  It is real
bad, we had temps in the 40?s yesterday and we got a misty rain that
started in the evening.  High winds and sometime in the night it dropped
to near zero.  They have even shut down the Mackinaw Bridge to any ?high
profile? vehicles due to the winds.