Re: Church told to hang own fire panel

You seem to be focusing on the end result. I am starting at the very
beginning of the process. Step one: In our area you must submit a set of
plans (including cut sheets and battery calcs) that are stamped with either
a fire planner stamp or licensed engineer stamp. Typically these are CAD
drawings on D size. Not having an in house CAD person would be the first
road block. Purchasing the equipment from an on line retailer or anywhere
else is not going to get step one completed. One can not pull wire let alone
mount gear until step one is finished. In most cases there is a backlog of
several weeks, sometimes even months in getting a permit just to start to be
able to pull wire, forget about the C of O, that is still miles away from
this first step. A fee can be paid to the AHJ for after hours expediting of
the process. I sincerely don't know how the AHJ would react to someone in a
DIY mode going down there to get this whole process started. I think he or
she would be told to get lost for no other reason that everyone is far to
busy to try and walk a DIY through the process when he or she is not
following the normal procedure. I doubt that anyone there would know what
procedure to tell a DIY to follow. Additionally there is a "reputation"
certain guys that have a stamp get with the AHJ. Sometimes that rep helps to
get things done more quickly (because of years of trust and respect). Others
have a rep that causes the opposite reaction. A DIY would probably get the
fine tooth comb inspection if it ever got that far. In our state the AHJ can
add whatever he or she wishes to the code. I think banning DIY jobs would
become a de facto if not an actual code practice.
The notion that training is not required for proper programming the likes of
a (Radionics) Bosch 8024 or 10024 (both now discontinued), or any Hochiki
analog addressable panel is simply not being realistic. There is almost
always an item that comes up that you need tech support to help you through.
If you have not had training the factory won't talk to you in most cases.
Going after it with only the manual in hand is really putting yourself out
on a limb unnecessarily. It might be penny wise but pound foolish to attempt
a DIY job beyond a certain size or in certain jurisdictions. What you save
in one hand you'll spend in the other. The annual inspection process that
must be followed after the installation and the monitoring etc, etc. would
just add more layers of potential hassles. Eventually even the most
dedicated DIY would throw in the towel once a system of  a certain size is
reached.