Re: Church told to hang own fire panel

I am sure every jurisdiction is different, but around here you have to have
the plans stamped and submitted to the AHJ (being the City Fire Marshall).
To stamp plans you must be a licensed engineer or a licensed fire planner. I
don't know who a DIY would go to for that service. I know we wouldn't offer
engineering services to a DIY, but others might. I just don't know who they
are around here. As for the AHJ I don't know that the department would
approve a DIY operation. It might be that they should legally, but given the
attitudes it would probably take a lawyer to get it rammed through, and your
DIY saving would be out the window, unless you were a DIY lawyer too. Time
is another element. How much time is involved getting this all approved? The
final connections to the devices are easy enough, but programming the panel
can be another issue. Programming an analog addressable fire alarm panel
generally requires experience and (factory) training. This DIY fire alarm
thing might be okay in some areas with some smaller systems, but the
limitations are real and obvious at some point as the system parameters get
larger.