Re: New House Alarm - Am I locked out?

On May 3, 9:06 pm, "Carl Carlson" <C...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Picklesheimer wrote:
> > <jasonext...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >> Wait, so you're equating them shutting off equipment that was paid
> >> for and owned in full to Robert not wanting to give away free
> >> equipment? The system was paid for and fully functional... then they
> >> shut it down.
>
> > obviously they don't sell parts.  they sell a SERVICE.  either you
> > take the service or you don't.  Just because you happened to find an
> > old obandonded system of theirs doesn't mean you get a gold star or
> > rights to their SERVICE.  if you want parts go to Bass.
>
> Uh, where did you read that the system belonged to the alarmco? I thought
> the OP stated that he bought the house, and that the previous homeowner had
> PURCHASED the equipment. Did I miss something?
>
> js

You didn't miss anything.  I don't know where he got that idea.  They
DO sell parts and they DO sell service.  If you call them they say
"you own the system."  I don't want their "SERVICE", I wanted to use
the parts that I now own.  I don't know if the phrase "came across an
abandoned system" is really applicable either, since they told me they
just shut it down about a month ago when the owner moved out.  It
sounds like he selectively read a few sentences and went off on a
tangent.

To answer some of the other posters, though, you're right.  It isn't
worth it.  I stopped talking to Guardian altogether a week or so ago
since they wouldn't cooperate.  A number of people have suggested
seeking counsel, but it's really just not worth the time over a $30ish
board.  If it was a top-of-the-line system it might be worth making a
stink at this point, but it's not.  I'm talking to a couple posters in
this thread, and have plans to contact a few more that offered their
help, about replacement options but I'm still surrounded by boxes at
this point and that has priority.  I'll get something done in the next
few weeks.