Re: New House Alarm - Am I locked out?

> I agree with your views on most all counts,
> HOWEVER, i have to ask.  Is it worth the
> fight? A service call from a local provider
> and a new control board is going to be
> easier on your nerves and possibly your
> wallet. Call someone local. if you are
> going to have it monitored they may swap
> the board for free...

This is a valid point.  If another local firm is
willing to provide a replacement board and
agrees NOT to lock it out at all, the gentleman
should consider having them monitor the
system for him.  If they'll swap the panel for
free in return for a contract, that will sweeten
the pot.  I used to do that on smaller systems
if the existing panel was locked or if it wasn't
a good board.

Alternatively, he can swap the board himself
for a few dollars and contract with 911Alarm.com
or NextAlarm.com for monitoring service.  Both
charge less than half what most local firms do
and way less than what many nationals charge.

The advantage to having a local firm do the
job is he doesn't have to do anything but sign
a multi-year (usually) contract and write the
check each month.  The advantage to DIY
is he'll save more than 50% of the cost
and he'll be empowered to take care of his
own security so he's never again in this
position.

Either way he wins and this rotten alarm
company loses.  I also agree with you that
he should tell anyone who will listen what
they have done to him.  That's "marketing"
at its finest

He could also consider writing a letter to the
local newspaper's consumer advocate
columnist.  Wouldn't it be nice if they did a
story on this dirty alarm company?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass