Re: Ambulance Chasing Scumbags

I've had retired cops work for me, but never using fear tactics...they used
their experience as detectives and the hands on installation training to
sell for us. I made them work with my installers on several jobs before
letting them go out on sales. I wanted them to know at least something about
what could be and couldn't be done (like fishing down an outside concrete
wall when it wasn't firred out..stuff like that)

"tourman" <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Unfortunately, there are lots of examples of selling using the fear
| factor. Both Brinks and ADT do it regularily on TV.....
|
| As far as hiring ex cops as sales reps, there is some evidence that
| this works. I have a successful peer in the business in Ottawa who was
| an Ottawa Police constable, and he tells me that he wins a lot of his
| sales based on that fact alone, and he plays it for all it's worth. In
| one instance, I know it worked, since I lost a competitive quote to
| him, and the client told me straight out that my package was better,
| but he felt more comfortable with the other guy because he was an ex
| police officer.
|
| Go figure !!
|
| R.H.Campbell
| Home Security Metal Products
| www.homemetal.com
| Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
|

| On Mar 1, 10:30 am, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > "Roland Moore" <rol...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

| > >I know a guy that built his entire business on that model. He was a cop
and
| > >started his own business while still a cop. He chased every burglary
report
| > >he received (and his cop buddies told him about). He considers himself
| > >very Christian and ethical man by the way. That is not my take on it
| > >certainly. Now he is a retired cop but he is still in that mode, but a
| > >little differently. Everytime a new technology comes around (that he
can't
| > >understand) he tries to find other dealers to "help him understand" the
| > >item. He'll pull some crap to refer all of the leads he has for that
item
| > >to you. Once that referal lead stream reaches a certain level then he
| > >thinks it is time "you showed him how to do it". We don't take his
referals
| > >and leave him to three doors and a motion trunk slamming (where even
that
| > >is over his head.) He has more accounts and more money than most
(partly

| >because he pays dirt low wages), but I think he feels himself struck
| in the
| > >tar pit of his own lack of technical ability and sinking in a world
where
| > >security integration is getting more and more technical and he isn't.
| >
| > More than once I've had it suggested to hire ex cops as sales reps.
Never