Re: No Serial Ports on Notebooks

It is the price. One 8 door controller versus 4 two door controllers. On
larger jobs it is far more common to use 16 door controllers (like an
iSTAR).
We have found that when maintaining a system the fewer total number of parts
generally means the less expensive it is to maintain.
Other than Northern Computer stuff, most other manufacturer's controllers we
use have a  low field failure rate.
On the other hand Northern panels work just fine in the dumpster.