No Serial Ports on Notebooks

Hello All,

I don't imagine that I'm the first to realize that most new notebooks
arrive lacking a standard rs232 port.

I've tried usb to rs232 converters with very limited amounts of success
(they definately don't like legacy software, if they sniiff DOS walking
across the street three blocks away they just have a fit).

Some manufacturers will provide a notebook with serial ports but you
usually have to buy a model that's far above (in price) their mainstream
models.

I've done a little research and I believe a pcmcia card with a serial
port should function like a normal serial port. Most seem to advertise a
16550 serial chip on the pci bus, just like if it was onboard.

Anyone else run into this and already slain a dragon that I'm now facing??

Thanks
Randy