Re: Switching alarm system - can I convert my database?

XML training is one thing that I've had in the back of my mind for some
time :-)

I asked the H/W guys to capture some sample data in text form for a
couple of the zones in a building and try to map it to equivalent
objects (intelligent controllers, inputs, relays etc.) on the new
system, with the long-term goal being to automate this somehow (similar
to the XML export/import you were talking about).  The exercise was a
real eye-opener, and they realized that a lot more of the new gear will
be required than previously thought.  They're leaning towards starting
from scratch (i.e. redo all the data entry), but with tens of thousands
of descriptions for inputs, zone names etc., we really need to automate
this.

-Pat