Re: Switching alarm system - can I convert my database?

> Thanks for the info.

You're most welcome.

> I guess the only point in question is whether
> one has the right to use the table structure
> (field names etc.) to interpret the data and relationships.  I mean, there's really no other
> way to do this efficiently.  It's not practical to
> dump out all the tables and start piecing the
> information bits back together.

The data structure (relationships between tables,
etc.) is the property of the author of the database.
The data itself is yours since you (or your staff)
created it, entered it into the program and
maintained it.

However, any new database you decide to use
will necessarily have its own relational structure.
If the chosenb software platform can import and
export XML files you'll be much better off.  That
will make your data more transportable now and
in the future, should you ever decide to change
again.

We use XML in other security related application
software as it is the most transportable and
configurable of current formats.  Not every
developer uses XML though.  You might want to
inquire of the vendor you're considering using
before you make a final selection.

One of the nice things about XML is you can
write into the schema the rules, such as
limits, options and relationships between
columns and tables.  Once you've got the
schema the way you wabnt it, it's easy to
massage tabular data from any software to fit
the needs of another app.

> This is such a fine point, though, so I doubt
> any vendor is going to try and stop a customer
> from extracting the information.

You don't really need the relationships -- just
the raw data and some knowledge of the way
the new app needs it formatted.

If the job is large enough to merit the cost, you
might consider hiring someone experienced in
database integration to do the project for you.
If that's of interest let me know.  I have people
on staff who do that sort of thing on a regular
basis.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass