Re: Question about ADT Alarm System Contract

Sir, your "free"system actually cost you about $600 including labour,
out of the $1800 you have paid so far. Whether you own it at the end
of your initial term is a matter of what is written in the contract.
My experience with ADT is the system is usually sold as part of the
contract, so if that IS the case, you may well own it at the end of
the initial term. At that point, you might want to shop for a lower
cost dealer (much, much lower...in the range of $15 to $20
monthly.).However, if your term has gone past 60 months, you may or
may not be locked in to another contract.I have seen both situations,
month to month after the first term or another full five years. What
you signed is the key to all your answers (and possibilities)

However, I have never heard of anyone expecting the alarmco to replace
the system after a given date whether under a lease or purchase
arrangement. ADT might do this but only if you were willing to sign on
again for another long term (or simply might not be willing to do it
if the equipment is still serviceable, as the case may be....)

Sorry, but that's not likely to happen, unless they choose to do so
because for some reason they can no longer maintain it properly. Our
business doesn't work that way. In the past, I have changed out the
client's panel and keypad to get the ongoing monitoring business, but
that often ends up as a losing proposition (what looks like an easy
changeout ends up being a labour intensive nightmare.....)

As Crash indicated, best to read your fine print....

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com
(Temporarily in Florida until the snow is gone.....)