Question about ADT Alarm System Contract

Hello, are based in Toronto, Canada.

We signed a ADT contract 5 years ago with the free installation and
have been getting charged monthly every since. I guess my quesiton is,
at what point do I own the system? Can I ask to get a newer system or
something? How long does this keep going. We haven't heard peep from
ADT ever since they installed it.

jj