Re: pc based security intrusion and camera system

"Roland More" <NoSpamroland@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >Mainly because Winblows sucks.  Then nothing critical is
>> dependent on Windows.  I have nothing against a well built PC.  The OS
>> is the problem.  I've got a 486DX in my back office running PCDOS and
>> running  continuously since it was first set up with maybe 6 reboots in
>> all
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/default.mspx
>
> A modern PC appliance running Windows Embedded could be as reliable as
> your DOS based 486. An embedded OS is not the same as having no hard drive
> and using memory chips. Since you are nearer lost wages Nevada than I am,
> you have probably seen slot machines that use some flavor of Windows
> Embedded OS, maybe without knowing it. I see a lot of mission critical
> stuff running a Linux or Windows Embedded OS. However if you want to use a
> regular OS that is as tough as a Mack truck I'd try SCO Open Server 6.
> http://www.sco.com/products/openserver6/. You just can't beat it to death.

Actually an old associate of mine was working on gaming machine programming
a few years back.  He used to own a computer store here in Yuma many years
ago.  Haven't heard from him in a while though so not sure what he is doing
these days.  Anyway, I am actually aware of some of the OS applications of
which you speak.  I might have even set up a few linux boxes to play with
them and see how they perform.  The problem is folks who ask about tying
everything under the sun into their PC are usually looking for cheap easy
solutions.  Hence.  Windows box machine and plug in hardware.  Yuck.

Somewhere I might even have a copy of Bell Unix for the 386 on five
bazillion 720K floppy disks.  Actually I think its in the safe from my dad's
hardware store.  It was the underlying OS for the server for his parts
system.  It was pretty stable too.

P.S.  My education is in CIS and I was running a growing computer service
business out of my house when I was dragged kicking and sceaming back into
the alarm industry by a client who was trying not to get screwed by my old
bosses.  I'm not as up to date as a lot of folks in the main stream of the
business, but I'm a little more in tune than the average dabler, and I'm
more than a power user as I actually know how to write code.  Well I usta
c'ud write code a decade ago anyway.  (A dozen versions of basic,
Chasm(assembler for the PC), C+, Cobol, and another half dozen scripting
languages) LOL. Have to be honest.  I'm really only familiar with 8086/8088
instruction code.  It will all run on the newer processors out there, but I
don't know the expanded instruction set for the new processors or for
Windows (generation whatever) all that well.

Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River
Fishing Forums & Contests
http://www.YumaBassMan.com