Re: AC Smoke interconnection

> I have one in front of me for review.
> and it is UL 217 listed in Category UTHA.

UL 217 covers single and multiple station
smoke alarms.  It does not cover use with
an alarm control panel.  Compliance with
UL 217 doesn't authorize use with a FACP.

> My only concern is that the wires would be in an
> electrical box, which would not be accessable
> by a Florida low voltage alarm licenseholder.

That is irrelevent since any homeowner can work
on his own alarm or electrical system.  There are
more serious issues to be considered.

1. The wiring would mix low and high voltages
in the same electrical box.  Without a partition
that is generally unacceptable.

2. The smoke detectors will be unsupervised.
If one or more of them should fail or be disconnected
the control panel will not generate a trouble warning.

3. The relay requires 110VAC.  During a power
failure the smoke detectors will be unable to initiate
an alarm.

4. There is no way for the panel to reset the smoke
detectors when (not "if") they false.

5. The manufacturer's installation instructions do not
include connection to a FACP.  That alone is a dead
giveaway that the devices are not "listed for use"
with a alarm panel.

6. ANSI/SIA CP-01 "Fire Alarm Verification - an
operation that ensures that an alarm condition persists
by resetting a tripped sensor in a fire zone and confirming
that the sensor remained tripped or waiting for the sensor
to re-trip within a set period of time. (e.g. Cycling power
to a smoke detector to ensure the condition persists
when power is restored.)"

The device you're recommending provides no means
of verification.  As the problem of false alarms continues
to grow, more and more communities and states will
require compliance with SIA CP-01.

> Where are you getting the info that it is not listed
> for use with an alarm panel? None of the paperwork
> I received addresses that issue.

I checked with Gentex and also read their data sheet
and installation manual.  I'm surprised you didn't do
the same.  I'm also surprised you weren't aware that
UL 217 is not the applicable standard for smokes
connected to a control panel.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass