Re: Mini Storage Security

> Robert is right. I think anyone can install
> security and fire alarms.  Whether or not
> it's legal to do it, or the if system actually
> works is another matter entirely.

I have no interest in the Canadian market.
My statement referred to the USA where
I live (most of the time) and work (some of
the time).

Everywhere in this country it is perfectly
lawful for a homeowner to install his/her
own security system.  No license is needed.
Likewise homeowners can lawfully install
their own fire alarm systems without a
license.

Commercial fire regulations vary but for the
most part, as long as it's not a building being
prepared for sale to a third party and as long
os it's not a "place of assembly" a building
owner or his employees can install a fire
alarm without a license.  There are a few
exceptions to this last paragraph.

As to whether the system will work, that is
in part a function of the support they receive
from the place supplying the system, part
a matter of the DIYer's skill and/or willingness
to learn.

Most anyone can learn to install a proper
burglar or fire alarm with a modicum of tool
skills and a little patience.  I've taught
countless people to do it over the years.
Some require more hand holding than others.
Some need no assistance at all.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass