Re: Pickup Truck tool box recommendations

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:48:10 -0400, "Bob Worthy"
<securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:46:15 -0400, "Bob Worthy"
>> <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
> It makes driving in this traffic jam easier (safer, better
>> >visibility).
>>
>> Better visability is a big plus driving in this mess here.
>
>Helps on the insurance as well. Are you carrying commercial insurance on
>your vehicle?

Nope.

>If so, is your employer helping with that? Even though it is
>your vehicle, he has exposure when you are on the clock.

Yeah, I really should look into that.  I don't want to ask MY
insurance company or I'll get whammied!

>> > The boxes are the deeper ones, which are good, except I had to
>> >have them elevated a bit to get a 6 footer under the box.
>>
>> How did you get them elevated?  I don't want it to look like hell.
>
>Had to raise it about three inches. Two pieces of  1 1/2" bar stock stacked
>on either side. Longer bolts and whalla. Really, without looking for it,
>looks normal.

Sweet, thanks for the tip.

>> >I have the smaller trucks
>> >(Toyotas). The installation trucks are a comb
>>
>> mainly wanted to know if the cross bed door was better than the two
>> side gull wing doors.
>
>Mine are the cross bed lids. With the smaller trucks, the handles on either
>side of the box, which will release both latches, are easily reachable from
>the side of the vehicle. This makes it convienent. The tech does not have to
>get into the back of the truck everytime they need to get into the box. The
>boxes we use has sliding trays for small incidentals which when released
>will slide from one side of the box to the other allowing access to the main
>compartment. With a full size truck and the side panels being higher than on
>the Toyotas, I think access will be your main concern. If you have to get
>into the truck to get to the entire box, the gull wings are really of no
>use. I do believe that the full cover is better for weatherproofing than the
>gull wing style after a period of time. There are the types with a double
>lid that operate independently. They still open into the full compartment.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, I'll email ya a pic of me rig when
I get it installed!

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)