Re: Pickup Truck tool box recommendations

"G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:46:15 -0400, "Bob Worthy"
> <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 It makes driving in this traffic jam easier (safer, better
> >visibility).
>
> Better visability is a big plus driving in this mess here.

Helps on the insurance as well. Are you carrying commercial insurance on
your vehicle? If so, is your employer helping with that? Even though it is
your vehicle, he has exposure when you are on the clock.

> > The boxes are the deeper ones, which are good, except I had to
> >have them elevated a bit to get a 6 footer under the box.
>
> How did you get them elevated?  I don't want it to look like hell.

Had to raise it about three inches. Two pieces of  1 1/2" bar stock stacked
on either side. Longer bolts and whalla. Really, without looking for it,
looks normal.

> >I have the smaller trucks
> >(Toyotas). The installation trucks are a comb
>
> mainly wanted to know if the cross bed door was better than the two
> side gull wing doors.

Mine are the cross bed lids. With the smaller trucks, the handles on either
side of the box, which will release both latches, are easily reachable from
the side of the vehicle. This makes it convienent. The tech does not have to
get into the back of the truck everytime they need to get into the box. The
boxes we use has sliding trays for small incidentals which when released
will slide from one side of the box to the other allowing access to the main
compartment. With a full size truck and the side panels being higher than on
the Toyotas, I think access will be your main concern. If you have to get
into the truck to get to the entire box, the gull wings are really of no
use. I do believe that the full cover is better for weatherproofing than the
gull wing style after a period of time. There are the types with a double
lid that operate independently. They still open into the full compartment.