Re: Pickup Truck tool box recommendations

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 10:06:32 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>"G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I'm looking to get a tool box for my truck and was wondering what
>> ya'lls experience with them was.  I was thinking of the diamond-steel
>> kind.  What is easier to work out of, the doors that open on each side
>> or one big door that opens like a trunk?
>>
>> Any particular brand that is better?
>
>Delta is ok, but so is Adrian Steel.  For a cross bed box one that opens all
>the way across is much much better.  A lot easier to work out of.

Thanks, I wasn't sure.  It would seem that large objects would fit
better in the cross bed.  I'm also looking at Husky (Home Depot)
brand.  It's largely going to come down to price.

>The aluminum diamond plate boxes look good, and don't seem to looka s bad
>when they get dinged and scratched, but the painted steel boxes are much
>tougher.  I also think the white paint tends not to get as hot inside as the
>aluminum boxes.

I didn't even think about the heat.  That could be a BIG deal.

>HOWEVER,  If you have the cash the easiest thing to work out of is a work
>cap with side doors and tool boxes inside each side door.  Put all your
>tools on one side, and all your smaller parts on the other side, and then
>put your wire and big tools in the back.  Buy one with a ladder rack and you
>are smoking good to go.  The only thing better is a van rigged out with
>racks and bins.

I thought about that, but then my poor truck would be 100% committed
to work!  Arghhh!  I'm looking into those half ladder racks that are
removable for extension ladder capabilities.  I'm just doing service
now so I'll not need to carry too much in the way of cable and parts.

Thanks for the advice.

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)