Re: Powering case heathers with PoE Cameras

"DA" <test_at_1-script_dot_com@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Jerry Spence1 wrote:
>
>> Is this true? Are heaters a thing of the past? Are there any IP Camera
>> installers here who still power case heaters? How is it done? Have PoE
>> powered IP camera manufacturers got it wrong?
>

> There is really not too much utility in providing an auxiliary power
> output from a PoE-powered camera. You can only draw 13W from a single PoE
> switch port, and that's just about how much the camera and the lens (if
> auto-iris) are already drawing. There is really just not enough juice in a
> standard power over Ethernet, especially not enough for the heater. They
> are talking about high-power PoE (35W) but I am not sure where the
> standard development stands on the high power version. Even then, I don't
> think 35W is all that much to throw the heater on it, too.
>
> Cheers,
> D~

Thanks

The 12v heathers we use are about 600mA, and the PoE Camera is about 200mA
(I've not met a PoE camera with auto (DC) iris yet). So 13W seems very
adequate for both I'd have thought. Having to have a separete power supply
removes the reason for having PoE in the first place.

-Jerry