Re: Powering case heathers with PoE Cameras

Jerry Spence1 wrote:

> Is this true? Are heaters a thing of the past? Are there any IP Camera
> installers here who still power case heaters? How is it done? Have PoE
> powered IP camera manufacturers got it wrong?

There is really not too much utility in providing an auxiliary power
output from a PoE-powered camera. You can only draw 13W from a single PoE
switch port, and that's just about how much the camera and the lens (if
auto-iris) are already drawing. There is really just not enough juice in a
standard power over Ethernet, especially not enough for the heater. They
are talking about high-power PoE (35W) but I am not sure where the
standard development stands on the high power version. Even then, I don't
think 35W is all that much to throw the heater on it, too.

Cheers,
D~

Delivered via http://www.secure-gear.com
The Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry
alt.security.alarms - 21599 messages and counting!