Re: Powering case heathers with PoE Cameras

In most cases IP PoE are for indoor applications if for no other reason that
100M distance run limits. If you had a typical outdooor camera (in a modern
dome assembly) then you would have 24VAC or 120 VAC powering the unit. Newer
PTZ domes (not yet released) will have encoders built into the dome housing
but won't benefit from PoE. I don't know where you live but if you have a
powered and grounded path from outdoors to indoors a good lightning bolt
will find it. Your expensive switch, like say a Cisco Catalyst 3560-24PS
switch, will have that distinctive BBQ smell and flavor And so might your
job for installing such a perfect lightning rod into such an expensive
target (no offense to Ditek meant). Heck you might even be lucky enough to
have the fire from the bolt open the head in a sprinkled com closet and have
a total loss in a giant 4 post rack. I am sure the Cisco rep would a least
buy you lunch for getting that order for new gear. How much for a rack full
of layer 2 (or 3) PoE switches these days? Make it dinner too.