Service Department Suggestions?

We are in the process of a merger and will retain two offices (about two and
a half hours away from each other). While we will have service techs,
installers and sales staff at both sites, some of the management will be
shared.
We're looking at ways to share the tech info and streamline communications
between the two offices. Because of increased clerical support staff in one
office, I'm thinking of diverting all phone calls to one site with calls
being dispatched to the other when needed.

If you have any recommendations for technology or remote
management/consolidation/structure suggestions, please share.  We'll have 7
or 8 service techs in two locations providing service (phone and field),
doing remotes and inspections.  We currently use ALARM software from
Z-Micro.  Also checking out google calendar (web-based). We're using an
older dos-based database for our tech detail/documentation and are looking
for a good program to use as we upgrade things.

One last question: Over the years we've been providing a lot more tech
service over the phone. Basically we only charge (sometimes) when an actual
remote programming session is needed. Otherwise all the tech time (which is
substantial) has been free to customers (and not all even pay monitoring
fees since we have many local fire alarm systems). Giving good service feels
good but I'd like to explore ways to be responsive and still recover some of
the costs.  Do any of you bill for tech assistance over the phone? Do you
have customers pay some type of retainer for it or do you just consider part
of the cost of doing business. Many times we're walking customers through
tasks we used to get paid to go out and do (code changes, battery changes,
trouble-shooting). If you do charge, what kind of reaction did you get from
customers?

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas!