Re: Service Department Suggestions?

"JW" <golf4nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:t2WKg.1323$Ez.786@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> We are in the process of a merger and will retain two offices (about two
> and a half hours away from each other). While we will have service techs,
> installers and sales staff at both sites, some of the management will be
> shared.
> We're looking at ways to share the tech info and streamline communications
> between the two offices. Because of increased clerical support staff in
> one office, I'm thinking of diverting all phone calls to one site with
> calls being dispatched to the other when needed.
>
> If you have any recommendations for technology or remote
> management/consolidation/structure suggestions, please share.  We'll have
> 7 or 8 service techs in two locations providing service (phone and field),
> doing remotes and inspections.  We currently use ALARM software from
> Z-Micro.  Also checking out google calendar (web-based). We're using an
> older dos-based database for our tech detail/documentation and are looking
> for a good program to use as we upgrade things.
>
> One last question: Over the years we've been providing a lot more tech
> service over the phone. Basically we only charge (sometimes) when an
> actual remote programming session is needed. Otherwise all the tech time
> (which is substantial) has been free to customers (and not all even pay
> monitoring fees since we have many local fire alarm systems). Giving good
> service feels good but I'd like to explore ways to be responsive and still
> recover some of the costs.  Do any of you bill for tech assistance over
> the phone? Do you have customers pay some type of retainer for it or do
> you just consider part of the cost of doing business. Many times we're
> walking customers through tasks we used to get paid to go out and do (code
> changes, battery changes, trouble-shooting). If you do charge, what kind
> of reaction did you get from customers?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts/ideas!

Not exactly the same thing, but here goes.  A few years ago I bought out a
small company with 60 or so accounts.  The owner had several clients who
were "friends" or perhaps "mooches" would be a better description.  Anyway.
He did a lot of misc service for them for free.  When they called me to do a
service call even after hours they would throw an absolute hissing fit about
having to pay for service.

Basically you guys have created a situation where clients expect to be able
to get free tech support.  If you start charging them and have a scripted
response that says that due to the increased cost of doing business you must
now charge for phone support...  some will understand, and more than you
might think will throw a hissy fit and cancel service with you.

The fact that you have so many with no agreement that pays you for anything
tells me you will have some issues that will be hard to work around.
However you need to risk some clients in order to fix this.  The first rule
of business is get paid for your work.

Perhaps a published policy of  some kind like,

"Monitored clients with current accounts (paid bills) may call for upto X
free tech support calls per yer as long as remote programming is not
required, the call does not exceed XX minutes, and a site visit is not
required or requested immediately after tha call.  Tech support calls over X
will be charged at the following reduced rate."

I would think long and hard, and then put pen to paper to write up some
service and payment policies.

One policy I have is that I will not perform service for a client with a
past due balance.  Its hard and fast.  It has saved me a lot of headaches.