Re: Service Department Suggestions?

JW wrote:
> We are in the process of a merger and will retain two offices (about two and
> a half hours away from each other). While we will have service techs,
> installers and sales staff at both sites, some of the management will be
> shared.
> We're looking at ways to share the tech info and streamline communications
> between the two offices. Because of increased clerical support staff in one
> office, I'm thinking of diverting all phone calls to one site with calls
> being dispatched to the other when needed.
>
> If you have any recommendations for technology or remote
> management/consolidation/structure suggestions, please share.  We'll have 7
> or 8 service techs in two locations providing service (phone and field),
> doing remotes and inspections.  We currently use ALARM software from
> Z-Micro.  Also checking out google calendar (web-based). We're using an
> older dos-based database for our tech detail/documentation and are looking
> for a good program to use as we upgrade things.
>
> One last question: Over the years we've been providing a lot more tech
> service over the phone. Basically we only charge (sometimes) when an actual
> remote programming session is needed. Otherwise all the tech time (which is
> substantial) has been free to customers (and not all even pay monitoring
> fees since we have many local fire alarm systems). Giving good service feels
> good but I'd like to explore ways to be responsive and still recover some of
> the costs.  Do any of you bill for tech assistance over the phone? Do you
> have customers pay some type of retainer for it or do you just consider part
> of the cost of doing business. Many times we're walking customers through
> tasks we used to get paid to go out and do (code changes, battery changes,
> trouble-shooting). If you do charge, what kind of reaction did you get from
> customers?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts/ideas!

Several individuals have offered some really good suggestions.

As for telephone technical assistance, go with a 900 number.  You can
tailor this with a minimum upfront charge (like $30.00 - $40.00) and no
per minute charges so they don't feel "pressured" by the time it might
take to come up with a solution.