Re: Disabling a Factory Car Alarm (1995 Toyota Corolla)

"L Neely" <lneely42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> On 23-Oct-2006, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:
>
>> What kind of problems have you been encountering with the factory alarm?
>> Toyota factory alarms are very pretty reliable.  If the remote does not
>> work, assuming that you have replaced the battery, try cleaning the
>> contacts
>> on the mini circuit board and the back of the rubber buttons with rubbing
>> alcohol.
>>

> I will try cleaning the contacts.  The problems lie in the fact that the
> alarm is *too* reliable.  :)  See, the way I disengage the alarm is via
> the
> remote.  Problem is, the alarm re-engages itself while I'm driving every
> once in awhile.

I have never heard of a Toyota factory alarm engaging itself while driving,
which is why I am wondering if the alarm may be aftermarket.

>> Even without the remote, the factory alarm should be disarmed by
>> unlocking
>> one of the front doors with the key.  If opening one of the front doors
>> with
>> the key does not disarm the alarm, then check the switch connected to the
>> lock cylinder for continuity.
>> --
>>
>> Ray O
>> (correct punctuation to reply)
>

> I would love for this to be the case, but unfortunately it is not.  When I
> unlock the front door with the key, the alarm goes off and does not
> disengage unless I have the remote handy.  Furthermore, as mentioned,
> sometimes the alarm engages itself while driving.
>
> You say the switch connected to the lock cylinder?  I'll look into that.
> It
> would certainly make sense for that to be a problem.  What should I look
> for?  Please bear with me because I know little about cars and alarms.
>
> -LN

IIRC, on a factory alarm, when you turn the key, the tab that connects the
lock cylinder to the lock rod also contacts a momentary contact switch that
is mounted on the cylinder.