Re: Disabling a Factory Car Alarm (1995 Toyota Corolla)

On 23-Oct-2006, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:

> What kind of problems have you been encountering with the factory alarm?
> Toyota factory alarms are very pretty reliable.  If the remote does not
> work, assuming that you have replaced the battery, try cleaning the
> contacts
> on the mini circuit board and the back of the rubber buttons with rubbing
> alcohol.

I will try cleaning the contacts.  The problems lie in the fact that the
alarm is *too* reliable.  :)  See, the way I disengage the alarm is via the
remote.  Problem is, the alarm re-engages itself while I'm driving every
once in awhile.

> Even without the remote, the factory alarm should be disarmed by unlocking
> one of the front doors with the key.  If opening one of the front doors
> with
> the key does not disarm the alarm, then check the switch connected to the
> lock cylinder for continuity.
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)

I would love for this to be the case, but unfortunately it is not.  When I
unlock the front door with the key, the alarm goes off and does not
disengage unless I have the remote handy.  Furthermore, as mentioned,
sometimes the alarm engages itself while driving.

You say the switch connected to the lock cylinder?  I'll look into that.  It
would certainly make sense for that to be a problem.  What should I look
for?  Please bear with me because I know little about cars and alarms.

-LN

                http://www.usenet.com