Re: ADT Contract Language help.

On 17 Oct 2006 18:48:52 -0700, canyonblue@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>of course "yeah right" it was highway robbery. the house is a
>semi-custom home built in a builder based community. you don't own the
>home until completion to builder can decide what if any option choices
>you have. while my wife and i spent huge sums on options, one option i
>wasn't going to take was wiring the doors (4) and 1 motion and 1 panel
>(all from a no-name company with old technology) for $2000. so
>therefore my ONLY real option was to wait until closing and THEN
>install an alarm, exactly what I am doing. I had the first salesman in
>my house about the alarm 3 days after the closing. my decision took 2
>weeks total and the install is going to happen in less than 3 weeks for
>a total of 5 weeks after the close.

First, $2K for 4 doors is outright robbery.  You should be able to get
all the 22 windows, 4 doors, 3 keypads, a couple of motions, and the
smokes & Co wiring for that price.

Second, If the builder wants to sell the house and you have a contract
to buy you can invite your own contractors in to pre-wire.  This goes
for audio, video, security, and communications.  The package he
offered sounds like a sweetheart deal with a alarmco that is below
board.  You can always rip out the equipment they install during
trim-out, but under no circumstances can the builder make you go with
that company for monitoring and service.

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)