Re: Hey Bass

"Robert L Bass" <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:PvWdnd95drqdtbbYnZ2dnUVZ_r-dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> I don't see why a light weight with a 650 motor
>> wouldn't absolutely smoke most stock Harleys
>> off the line...
>
> It does...

I hate to burst your bubble, but an experienced rider who really wanted to
race would probably beat you on a stock modern Harley.  That Burgamn has two
or three disadvantages.  No manual clutch to feather and a pretty small
contact patch are two that come immediately to mind.  Now for just plain
roll on acceleration you might be able to hold your own because the bike
does all the work for you.

1:9.58    Harley 96" Twin Cam Dyna
1:10.48  Burgman 650 cc Burgman

The Harley has the edge on the power to weight ratio as well.

Now an older 88" Twin Cam or an 80" Evo unmodified might be a little closer,
but if I recall the 88" isn't that far off on its power to weight ratio in a
Dyna either.  Of course if you are going up against a bone stock 80" EVO
Electraglide you might have a slight power to weight advantage, but he is
going to have a traction edge and a clutch control edge still.  You might be
surprised at what it will still be able to do off the line.  They have
enough torque to shred a clutch if you don't know what you are doing.  (Ask
me how I know LOL)

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River