Re: Hey Bass

news:17-dna02Xc9Hd7fYnZ2dnUVZ_v2dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Bob La Londe" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> I have to admit that is where my experience is limited.  I have never
> owned
>> a scooter of any kind.
>
> Exactly

I don't see why a light weight with a 650 motor wouldn't absolutely smoke
most stock Harleys off the line.  Especially if it will rev higher and has a
decent clutch system.  (even if it doesnt have a manual clutch it has some
form of clutch(es))  Heck before the twin cam came out in 2002 the the stock
touring bikes wouldn't even break the century mark.  If they did it was down
hill with a tail wind.  The Dynas and some of the softtails were a little
faster because they were lighter and tuned slightly different, but not all
that much faster.  The twinky is a little faster than the Evo but again, not
that much.

Mark, I have owned a number of Harleys and one thing I am not is delluded
about what they will do.  Except for the V-Rod VRSC(A,B,X) (I owned one of
these too) if you saw a "fast" Harley it was modified.  You could try and
argue in favor of the Buell, but that is a limited production "modified"
motorcycle.  It is not a stock Harley.  Buell is to Harley like Shelby is to
Ford.  And then its based around the sportster engine which is tuned much
hotter for a lighter bike than the motors running in any of the full size
Harleys.

Let me give you some more detailed info.  A stock 96" (just came out this
year as a stock engine size) FXD Dyna Super Glide only developes about 65
bhp according to Harley.  The dyno chart on it is in their accessories book
where it shows improvement when using their stage 1 or stage 2 performance
aftermarket upgrades.  Now, it does produce a ton of torque from about 3000
RPM.  In fact they claim it devlopes 92 ft/lbs, but when you look at their
dyno chart the graph shows it as much lower.  That particular bike should
accelerate very well, but you wind a little scooter up to redline and
feather the clutch and it should be interesting.

I know my numbers on current production are right on because I just picked
up the current book from Bobby's shop this morning since I am considering
buying a new FXD.

Of course when it gcomes to hole shot and acceleration off the line there
are a number of factors.  If that little (650 ain't that little. My 650 Seca
turbo would run nearly 200 (198 twice) mph on radar and would pull wheelies
in any gear when running under 100) scooter breaks traction its all over for
it in a drag race.  If that Harley is running a hard compound touring tire
it will probably break loose just as quick as that little scooter though.
So then it becomes a matter of rider skills and the machines have very
little to do with the results.  Now I doubt that Robert has much rider skill
(no dis Robert. You just have not been riding that many years) but neither
do most of the butt jewlery riding BAMBI's out there either.

Tack on that the BAMBI sitting next to Robert at the light was probably
trying to "pose" and impress everybody with his butt jewelry and was
probably left slacked jaw and dumfounded when Robert punched the gas and
took off at a decent rate on what looks like a toy scooter.  Heck I would
probably have sat there flabbergasted when I had it demostrated to me what a
"scooter" could do.  I remember the 250 scooters Honda came out with more
than a decade ago blew us all away when we discovered they would run 65 all
day long without overheating even in the desert heat.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River