Re: Need help with video system problem

"JM" <jm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:QU85h.27911$Cq3.11981@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thank you for the reply.  I appreciate your willingness to help.
>
> I think this is our camera:
> http://www.honeywellvideo.com/products/cameras/pt/26044.html#Product%20Literature
>
> Is the RapidEye application intricately tied to the Honeywell hardware?
> In other words, could we supplant the current software system while
> keeping the Ademco/Honeywell cams?

If I was the one in your shoes I'd hope someone would point me here
http://www.genetec.com/english/solutions/omnicast/overview.aspx to Omnicast.
Sounds like you could benefit from a system that is brand agnostic. I don't
rep any vendor but I talk to plenty. Genetec is all about making there stuff
work with eveyone else's hardware (since they don't make any hardware). If
you not an alarm or CCTV guy now you'll never learn to think like one.
You're a computer guy and you shouldn't think like us. Omnicast turns CCTV
thought into Computer thought so you'll get it. Then you can go nuts adding
all sorts of Axis and Sony PoE network cameras and forget Rapid Eye if you
want (other than what you already have). Omnicast works with a lot of stuff
I never heard of, and I've heard of Rapid Eye. If Omnicast doesn't work with
Rapid Eye protocol now (very doubtfull that it doesn't) then I am sure it
would once you base your P.O. on that happening.  I just am unclear as to
what Rapid Eye software product you actually have. There was a computer
based product that was mostly about live viewing and transmitting and
controlling live video via (POTS) telephone line and some limited recording.
It has gone thru about a million changes and upgrades and it seems it kind
of disappeared. There is a Rapid Eye DVR now too that works with old stuff
but everything seems kludgy and vague with Rapid Eye.
The camera literature you point to shows:
a.. Built-in intelligent receiver for up-the-coax (UTC) or RS485 twisted
pair (TP) operation
a.. Built-in code translator provides compatibility with PELCO P or D based
systems
If all you have is up the coax control that is going to be a problem for any
other vendor to use. Hopefully someone ran a data cable to the camera too.
If not maybe Sennetech could help  http://www.sennetech.net/ with a
solution.
Other than reading the manuals and getting factory support I think you're on
your own with Rapid Eye. I am certainly no resource. I'd have to read the
manual again too. Okay I'd cheat and call in a favor from somewhere but
that's not something a can pass on to you.
Let me know if the Omnicast idea helps.