Re: Law Suit in NJ

Yes, those were the good old days. Dual systems, UL this and that. Too bad
it is cost prohibitive on small mom and pop shops...This was common in the
NYC diamond districts.

I was a commercial burg & fire tech in NYC. I did many banks, jewelry
stores, high rise Class E systems, etc.

I never had to lift a safe. The safe company usually handled that. I would
just show up on the job, tell the owner what the safe needed, it was done a
day or so later.

I didn't really care for the Ademco 1401. I thought it was a toy. I
installed mostly Potter EVDA, EVDB, VSA, those type of units. They were much
more reliable, and were bascially trouble free.

I still remember installing Direct Wire, McCollough circuit Potter EFT's,
wind up waterflows, gate valve, tank temp & water level transmitters...damn
I am showing my age.... :)

Jim Rojas

"Roland" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> One day I get a call from my expartner, the store was broken into...I
>> arrive at the scene and find his safes were peeled open, phone line cut,
>> and all the alarm equipment was on the floor smashed to pieces.
>>
>> Several months later, the monitoring station and our company get sued
>> because the business owner only received 60 percent of his insurance
>> claim...he let his policy expire...what a surprise...so he figured he
>> could recover the other 40 percent from the alarm & monitoring company.
>>
>> His lawyer said we were negligent and went on and on...after I faxed over
>> all the waivers, and his service revisions his client signed over the
>> years, complete with upgrade recomendations, I never heard from his
>> attorney again. I did appear as a key witness for the monitoring station
>> lawsuit, soon afterwards the monitoring station was released of any
>> liability.
>>
>> In my opinion, the insurance company was at fault from the very
>> beginning. They should have required the store owner to have a UL Listed
>> and inspected system installed and maintained at all times. But this is
>> expensive on both sides. The business owner can't afford the monthly & UL
>> inspection fees, and the insurance company is looking to save costs by
>> taking shortcuts as usual.
>>
>> Jim Rojas
>>

>> "Nomen Nescio" <nobody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Horseshit!
>>>
>>> It said this case was a subrogation action, which means that the
>>> computer
>>> company had burglary insurance, filed a claim, and got paid...and now
>>> the
>>> greedy goddamn insurance company wants to pass off the loss to the alarm
>>> company or its insurance company.  That insurance company made more in
>>> premiums in one year for that burglary insurance policy than the alarm
>>> company made in five years of providing a real, honest-to-God service --
>>> and now they want to make the alarm company pay off when their customer
>>> gets robbed??  Fuck them!
>>>
>>> When you are selling an alarm system for $25 to $50 a month, you can't
>>> also
>>> afford to provide five million bucks worth of burglary insurance.  In
>>> fact,
>>> for those prices, you can't even afford to hire a lawyer to argue about
>>> whether you're at fault or not.  That's why we have limitations of
>>> liability in our contracts:  if one customer gets robbed and sues you,
>>> you
>>> will eat up many years of monitoring profits defending yourself, even if
>>> it
>>> eventually turns out you weren't at fault.
>>>
>>> If you want to assume the risk of having to pay off if your alarm
>>> doesn't
>>> prevent a loss, then you will need to set your rates according to how
>>> much
>>> your customer has to lose.  Nobody assumes a risk without getting paid
>>> it.  And you can be damn sure your insurance company will follow that