Re: Any tips for a consumer about to purchase a system & contract?

> Who services that system when it goes haywire?

If it's a DIYer, he services it himself.  Once you've installed a system
servicing it isn't all that complicated.  However, we're mainly talking
about systems monitored by a local alarm company.  In those cases, the alarm
company performs the service.  Their fees for service should coiver their
overhead plus a resonable profit margin.  No one should work for free.
Bob's business model assumes that he can make a profit without charging for
service.  Not having seen his books but knowing the kind of man he is, I
believe him.  During th 24 years I ran a small alarm company in CT I charged
for service visits after the warranty expired.  I offered a two-year
warranty with new installations.  That worked for me.  YMMV.

> What happens when the DIYer sends signals on
> the wrong account because it was programmed
> incorrectly?

Our central station used CallerID to verify all incoming signals.  On the
rare occasion where that happened they caught it on the spot, looked up the
correct account and made the dispatch as needed.

> When you sell a DIYer a system you have no way
> of knowing where they are mounting equipment,
> or if they are really doing the same job a professional
> would do.

True.  I can only teach them the correct way to do things.  Most people
listen but there are always going to be a few who don't.  They're the same
kind of clients who misuse a professionally installed system, causing
problems for the central station and the responding authorities.

> You have no way of knowing how many falses
> they had...

When I offered monitoring I also got reports of every alarm and trouble
signal, as well as any failure to test.  I found I could make better (more
profitable) use of my time concentrating on sales so, after 7 years of
online sales (some of that time parallel to running the alarm company), I
stopped offering monitoring.  Now I refer customers to another online
provider who I believe is reliable and honest.  I believe you know him.  :^)

> I have never seen a DIYer admit that they should
> have just hired a pro.

I have occasionally encountered a DIYer who hired a pro to finish up for
him.  It's rare but it happens.

> Their egos won't allow for it. You've dealt with
> those people long enough to know what I am
> saying is correct, but for business posturing
> I doubt you will publically agree.

You don't know me as well as you think.  Sure it happens.

> There will always be a market for people who
> think they can do something better than a pro,
> and I am glad they go elsewhere so I don't
> have to deal with them, but there is no need
> to take a jab at those who do this for a living
> by implying it's easy to install.

Most of the time competent DIYers who *listen* can indeed do a competent
job.  Better than a pro?  That depends on which DIYer and which pro.  I say
what I believe based on many years of experience.  It's not a jab at you or
anyone else when I say that they can do the job.  Some folks here

> Did you monitor DIY systems in West Hartford
> or were all of your online accounts systems you
> installed?

We did both.  Most were professionally installed but I always sold to DIYers
as well and there have always been a percentage of them who wanted
monitoring.  This business model worked for me.

--
Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics