Re: Any tips for a consumer about to purchase a system & contract?

Some of these discount monitoring stations do a good job. However, the
only consumers that would want to take advantage of these kinds or
services are those who are competent enough to service their own
systems ie: competent DIY' ers who installed their own system and know
it well. Otherwise, if you do need service on your panel through one of
these discount houses, it MAY be available through a third party dealer
in your area, and it WILL be very expensive. These stations are
basically"cream skimming" the market place with no interest in service,
but when (not if) you do require service, I guarantee things won't look
quite so rosy.....

However, this gentleman said he is in the process of shopping for an
alarm system. If like 99.9% of consumers, he would rather have a
professional do it (so he can get on with more important things in his
life), then the above sort of monitoring station is definately not
applicable for him.

Some of the other comments you make about the ills of our industry have
validity; however, it is both inaccurate and unfair to tarnish everyone
with the same brush. Most companies provide good service and do so
gladly. Service is what keeps them alive in this industry as it is in
most others. However, it always wise to read and understand any sort of
contractual arrangement before you sign it.....the old saying 'let the
buyer beware" does apply here when it comes to alarm contracts !!

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
www.homemetal.com