Re: ADT Yard Signs

"Bob Worthy" <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uon2h.18944$Fd7.3171@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Crash Gordon" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Well, yes..they were representing themselves as being me/my company. They
>> didn't actually have any licenses or a legal business.
>>
>> This is interesting though. So you guys are kinda saying that if I bought
>> used ADT service truck with their signage on it, and drove it around not
>> intending to do any alarm business that ADT or lets say just parked it on
> my
>> driveway - would have no case? (tangent from OP...just posing another ?)
>
> In your case it may have been a different issue than what is being talked
> about here. It is the action of the individual that "could" constitute
> some
> sort of illegal act. If he was an unlicensed person, driving an ADT truck
> and not employeed by ADT, out there selling, installing, servicing alarms
> as
> an ADT whatever, there may be some sort of fraud and deception thing going
> on, not to mention any of the unlicensed contractor penaltys and who knows
> what else. But simply having possession of a sign, or a truck etc. with a
> logo on it is not illegal unless it was stolen. Even with that, the crime
> would be possession of stolen property and not anything to do with the
> logo.
> Stealing an ADT truck would carry no heavier penalty than stealing RLB's
> Camary. You have to forget what seems to be right, ethical, common sense
> and
> even what may have been law last year. None of that comes into play when
> attorneys are involved.

    Many years ago I worked for a company that manufactured police badges
and notary seals. One day someone came in to order a badge and something
didn't quite seem right. Usually orders came  from the city on a P.O. This
man wanted to pay cash and didn't have a purchase order. So I phoned the
police and asked about the legal aspect of someone who might not be a law
officer buying a police badge. The police said there is no law against
buying a badge as long as the owner of the badge doesn't impersonate a
police officer. I don't know for what other purpose someone would buy a
badge but it was legal for the customer to buy it and legal for us to sell
it to him. The law may vary by state.

Bob