Re: difference in quality of equipment: ADT, Brinks, Slomins, etc?

On 19 Mar 2006 07:10:50 -0800, rogue_petunia@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Wow, 38 replies and only 1 can be described as even remotely related to
>the original post.
>
>Ok, clearly you guys are irritated by non-industry people who ask about
>alarms.  If the topic has been discussed before can you at least post
>links to the previous discussion.  I did search Google Groups before
>posting and didn't successfully find answers. (and by discussed I mean,
>really discussed, not 38 replies spiraling into one line cracks and
>inside jokes).

I didn't see 38 replies.

All the equipment is about the same, Brinks and ADT use equipment
supplied by Honeywell.  I don't know what Slomin's use.   The main
difference is installation quality (which can wildly vary within the
same branch of a company), and monitoring quality.  I for one have
heard way too many complaints about ADT's monitoring to ever recommend
them.  Most of our account takeovers come from ADT, usually folks
tired of waiting six weeks for service.

The best thing you can do is ask your friends and neighbors what they
think of their alarm company.   Ask about their responsiveness to
service issues and how the monitoring center employees treat them when
contact is made necessary.   Of course price is an issue too, but keep
in mind you get what you pay for.  Some companies offer a warranty on
all parts and labor for the life of the monitoring contract, something
that WILL pay for itself.