DIY recommendations requested

Hi, I'd like some recommendations regarding a DIY alarm system for my
house.

I don't want a monitored system, just something that'll sound an alarm
in the house if an intrusion is detected. I'd prefer something where
the keypad is separate from the main control panel, but I'm open to all
suggestions.

I need the system to support wireless sensors for five exterior doors,
but I can easily wire the keypad, siren, a motion sensor and a smoke
detector to the panel. The closet where I want to put the panel has
power for a transformer.

Most of my windows have bars on the outside of the house. Because they
do not have inside releases, I'd like to remove them for my own safety.
The windows are all steel casement style (15"x11" glass panels) and are
probably not real easy to open even if the glass is broken (I've never
tried!). I'm not sure if it's worth putting transmitters on each one.

It would be nice to be able to add more wireless devices such as an
additional motion and smoke detectors and glass breakage sensors down
the road. I'd like a wireless keypad in my bedroom too. Also, I like
the idea of integrated X10 support, although it's not a requirement.

What brands/models do you suggest I look at? Any suggestions or
comments re: my windows?

Thanks - Steve