Re: DIY recommendations requested

majiktt wrote:
> Hi, I'd like some recommendations regarding a DIY alarm system for my
> house.
>
> I don't want a monitored system, just something that'll sound an alarm
> in the house if an intrusion is detected. I'd prefer something where
> the keypad is separate from the main control panel, but I'm open to all
> suggestions.
>
> I need the system to support wireless sensors for five exterior doors,
> but I can easily wire the keypad, siren, a motion sensor and a smoke
> detector to the panel. The closet where I want to put the panel has
> power for a transformer.
>
> Most of my windows have bars on the outside of the house. Because they
> do not have inside releases, I'd like to remove them for my own safety.
> The windows are all steel casement style (15"x11" glass panels) and are
> probably not real easy to open even if the glass is broken (I've never
> tried!). I'm not sure if it's worth putting transmitters on each one.
>
> It would be nice to be able to add more wireless devices such as an
> additional motion and smoke detectors and glass breakage sensors down
> the road. I'd like a wireless keypad in my bedroom too. Also, I like
> the idea of integrated X10 support, although it's not a requirement.
>
> What brands/models do you suggest I look at? Any suggestions or
> comments re: my windows?
>
> Thanks - Steve

The DSC PC-5020 (Power 864) will more than fit your bill.  It offers
X-10 support, and up to 64 zones that can be either wired or wireless
(or a combination of both).  The programming is relatively simple (it's
one of the easiest systems to program from the keypad).  There are a
number on online resources through which you can obtain information.
The manufacturer maintains a website at http://www.dsc.com.  Have a
browse through the different user manuals and you'll get a feel for how
powerful the system really is.  Comments regarding their quality control
should be taken with a huge grain of salt (consider the source).  We've
installed dozens of these units (as well as the DSC PC-5010) with nary a
hiccup.

As to your windows, there are two schools of thought.  I prefer
installing perimeter type systems.  These are designed with protecting
the residents while they're home and offer the most flexibility.  You
already recognize the benefits of a hybrid system as it is easily
expandable to meet your budge and you can get a fairly decent system to
start with without laying out a huge amount of cash.

There are a number of online dealers that handle this DSC, but my
strongest recommendation would be to purchase it locally.  That way you
don't have to worry about shipping charges back to the factory in the
event you do have a problem and you'll have more success with actual
technical help if you're calling someone in the same city than trying to
get a hold of someone in another state.

The second advantage to using someone "local" is that you can call them
in to help you with your wiring (expect to pay a premium if you don't
want it monitored, though).  If you are going the online route to
purchase your product, I'd suggest reading this:

http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/buyingonline.htm

Several other online stores I've heard good things about (they actually
do answer their tech support lines):

http://www.norcoalarms.com
http://www.smarthome.com
http://www.wmballen.com

There are lots more out there I haven't listed.  Good luck!!

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com